Monday 2 March 2015

Chapter 11 Making a hanging, stage 2


Ref  6.11.8a
Ref 6.11.8b
Completing my 'full size' paper template I resolved that my first decision would concern size.  In seeing the sketch I felt that there needed to be a fifth line of templates across the top of the piece.  It would allow more skyline and give the  whole piece more balance - it had a 'stocky' appearance with the previous layout. It had been invaluable to draw the piece in full scale as it helped me consider; line direction for textures, shading, how and whether to cut the colours as a whole piece, how to build up or cut back the layers and how to allow the edges to blend, fray or stand out. It was also a lesson in template making, the enlarging had not been easy - my 6 inch square was not square!! 
Ref 6.11.9a
Ref  6.11.9b
Placing the sketch on my study wall I enjoyed its movement as I went up and down the stairs beside it. Took time to watch it before making too many decisions.  It would need more attention but it could serve as a template for cutting my fabric. My thoughts were considering make coloured sections as a whole, layering them and then cutting  if I felt it would work better.  The fact that I liked its movement meant that weight of fabric used would be a key consideration.


Ref 6.11.10a
Ref 6.11.10b
The colours were too bright in the sketch but kept my previous templates close at hand! Decided to look at it in black and white and then decided to revisit the smaller sample and play with layers and colours. The result.... realised I was becoming a bit obsessed with the paper colours  but needed to satisfy myself about number of layers and tones before selecting fabrics and stitch

Ref 6.11.11a
Ref 6.11.11b
At an early stage in the sketch I had reduced the original seven layers of colour down to six but realised that the yellow, which was the combined layer, could in fact be diffused into its adjoining shades of brown and green as its scale was too domineering, see sample 8a. 
Ref 6.11.12a
Ref 6.11.12b

The area could be worked across in stitches but was beginning to feel that I didn't want the fabrics to be overworked with stitch - difficult decisions lay ahead as to how much stitching needed to be done!!!
Set out story board to hone my thoughts and build images that would bring a sense of belonging to the place. The plan is to use images that would be a foundation for stitch- and space making. While bird sketches are included my feeling leans towards a series of flight patterns and footprints as the better way to make marks on fabric and also found objects to make rubbings under the fabric.  I also carried forward some key images from chapters 5, 6 and 7 where single threads had told a story, edges that had been burnt or frayed revealed what was beneath or embellishing revealed a 'wrong' side that held promise!
Ref 6.11.13

Now X marks the spot to start considering interpretation.  Decided to work some small scale samples to consider tentative steps towards making full scale sample pieces, concern seemed numbing but the phrase, less is more would be my comfort. Needed to build up confidence as I realised my fabric sizes were limited and felt some of my most appropriate colourings were in paper samples that had been cut up! Was it time to bring out the brusho powders and experiment with fabric colouring....  I have a feeling this chapter will have many appendices....
But have had a good day clearing the decks, discarding fabrics from my pile and considering effects from previous work that could make some interesting prints for the yellow zone. This is a piece done at TSG workshop 2014 and suddenly felt the background colouring was what I was looking for ... it was sitting directly below the hanging as I went up and down the stairs but it took hours - well days actually for the eureka moment to happen!! Could I replicate this on a larger scale? Object lesson clear the decks and suddenly you could find it was there all the time!










No comments:

Post a Comment